Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Music of the Day: Joan Armatrading


I've just been listening to one of my favourite artists, Joan Armatrading.
Vastly underated over the years, I have made a compilation of all her singles from her first album "Whatever's For Us" from 1972 to "Into The Blues" made 35 years later, and what an enjoyment it's been.
I think what I like best about Joan is her subtleness. Having said that, my favourite track was the pop classic 'Drop the Pilot' from 1983, which is about as subtle as a sledgehammer, but most of her other work displays an intelligence and distinctiveness that sets her apart from most female singers.
Best known perhaps for her first (and to date, only) top ten UK hit "Love And Affection", it's this song that set the tone for what has been an outstanding career taking in blues, jazz, folk and pop.

BEST ALBUM: THE KEY (1983)
BIGGEST SINGLE: LOVE & AFFECTION (1976) (youtube)
FAVOURITE TRACK: THINKING MAN (lastfm) - from album SECRET SECRETS (1985)
STARTING POINT: ME MYSELF I (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment