Search This Blog

Sunday 15 May 2011

The President's 50th Birthday 4

Here's the fourth and final part of my "50 At 50" podcast mix that can be found at

 

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Pandora's Box

I've loved OMD since they first appeared on a compilation album on the Some Bizarre label with 'Electricity'. In the 90s, I had a small obsession with 20s obscure silent film actress, Louise Brooks, and then in 1991 OMD came out with a song about her and one of her best films 'Pandora's Box'. Ms Brooks had a fascinating life, and was incredibly attractive in her younger years. Her life story makes an incredible read and I can highly recommend viewing this film and any of her other celluloid appearances.

The The - This Is The Day

Matt Johnson is a fantastic song writer and is incredibly underrated. The album 'Soul Mining' which was released in 1983 is a perfect pop album, and everybody should have a copy. And that's all I have to say on the matter!

Ron Grainer - Dr Who

I can't remember a time when I didn't watch Doctor Who. My favourite doctor was Patrick Troughton whose humour was the basis for the way Who has developed over the years. This theme tune was the original created by Delia Derbyshire specifically for the programme. For my birthday today I was given a box set of all eleven doctors in 5inch high, plastic form and it now stands pride of place with my other model figures, books, toys, magazines, DVDs, videos, CDs and half-sized cardboard TARDIS that are stored in the garage. Now, why do people call me 'Sad'???

Lonnie Donegan - Cumberland Gap


One of the first singles I had as a child was this track by Lonnie Donnegan. On very heavy 78rpm shellac, it was played endlessly on my old Dansette player. In 2002, I had the pleasure of meeting my hero at his hotel in London. I arrived as two hacks were finishing their interview with him for 'Q' magazine. As he left the room for a break, I was appalled to hear these two twenty-somethings mocking him, and showing complete disrespect for someone, who had been a huge influence in popular music in this country. Previously, he had recorded an album with Van Morrison, and was obviously in the process of rebuilding his career. I was there to discuss licensing some recordings that he had that had never been released and he was eager to have put out. Unfortunately, Lonnie went on tour before the deal was completed and died of a heart attack before I could meet with him again. The Q interview became gushing tribute, as opposed to the 'slagging off' that I suspect he was to have received.

Modern Lovers - Egyptian Reggae

Simply put, this is my favourite track of all time! It doesn't matter how many times I hear it, it still sounds wonderfully fresh on every playing. The image of Legs And Co dancing to the track on Top Of The Pops in their skimpy outfits, also has a positive effect.

Wombles - The Jungle is Jumping

In the 70s I bought myself a boxed set of the Wombles. I was 14, and far too old for this kind of thing, but Mike Batt's infectious tunes were incredibly endearing, and I loved those furry little creatures. This track had wonderful infectious rhythms, and despite Mike Batt's protests, was one of the songs I insisted on including on a double CD I was working on. The Wombles had all but been forgotten in the 90s when I put this together, and I thought it would be great that Mike wanted to be included in the creating of the set. That was until he started insisting that all some of the tracks were the orchestral versions used in the films, rather than the original album versions! Admittedly they sounded better, but I was after nostalgia, not musical perfection. It was a few months after this that Sony released their own Wombles CD. Co-incidence? ...Maybe?

Quantum Jump - The Lone Ranger

"Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora" is the longest word in the world, and is the name of a hill in New Zealand in the native Maori language. I learnt to say this by playing the track over and over in small sections until I now know it off by heart. My son and daughter can also recite it - saddo's in training - I'm sooo proud!

Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine - Can't Stay Away From You

A beautiful song, beautifully sung.

Vangelis - So Long Ago, So Clear

And this could be the most beautiful song ever recorded! Tagged on the end of the incredible album by Vangelis 'Heaven And Hell', it is sung by YES lead singer Jon Anderson, with whom he was to have several hits in partnership as Jon And Vangelis. I want this played at my funeral to take me in whatever direction I will be going!

Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas

Women I have drooled over, part 69! Nastassja Kinski is one of the most attractive women to appear on film, and her appearance in this classic 'road' movie proves it. Appearing to the haunting guitar of Ry Cooder, the scant amount of screen time given to her in this movie was enough to make me seek out all her previous film roles and ensure I saw as many of her future appearances as possible. Now, also 50, she still looks incredible, but her film appearances are still as difficult to find as her appearance in her first role "The Wrong Move". Although her brief spell in Hollywood made life easier, her films have never been hugely successful in the UK. She will be forever known in our household, by the name given to her by my mockingly jealous spouse as "the one with the facial hair"! I never saw this myself, although in Cat People, her full frontal nudity did display some degree of hirsuteness.

Tomita - Golliwog's Cakewalk


The track that first gave me an interest in classical music, I was amazed to learn that the electronic album that gave birth to this track was completely composed by a classical composer, Claude Debussy. To this day, my favourite classical composer.

Goons - The Ying Tong Song

And finally, to the men who have given me more laughter in my life than any others. Here's to the Goons, especially Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers, genii both! Not their funniest moment perhaps, but if anybody wants more, I have copies of all their available shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment