Search This Blog

Thursday 21 April 2016

25 Songs, 25 Days - Day One


DAY ONE - A SONG FROM MY CHILDHOOD

One of those list thingies came my way the other day, so I thought I'd share my own answers to the titles suggested above and display my complete lack of taste in music for the world to see.



Here's one of the first records I remember owning. It was passed to me on an old shellac 10", along with several others. 
Lonnie Donegan's 'Cumberland Gap' was to influence my life for many years to come, and when I actually met Mr Donegan himself, at his London flat in December 2000, it was a huge honour to be able to chat with him. He had just appeared on Van Morrison's album with Chris Barber, received a MBE, and was enjoying a ressurrection of his career, that once again put him on the road. For a man in his early seventies, it was all a bit too much for him, and after a series of heart attacks, he passed away in November 2002.
The disc itself was smashed to smithereens, among with loads of others, when my teenage self found pleasure in throwing darts at spinning 78's on a nail on my bedroom door, and watching them shatter across the floor.... I thought it was funny at the time!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment